Monday, July 6, 2015

The Gospel Reorients Me

We never never never grow out of the gospel.  It's so good to ruminate in it afresh this morning inside this Titus passage.

"Jesus gave His life to free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us, and to make us His very own people, totally committed to doing good deeds."  Titus 2:14

Jesus gave His life

Jesus didn't grasp on to His equality with God in heaven.  Bountiful riches, glory, and direct fellowship with the other two Members of the Trinity in heaven, all totally let go.  Instead He made Himself nothing.  He came to the earth as a Servant, a little Boy in a poor family.  I wonder if He remembered what He left as He grew up.  I can't imagine the contrast--either the riches He left or the environment He entered.  And He grew up and went even further by choosing to be obedient to death, even death in the worst possible way.

To free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us

Sin is the worst plague humankind has ever experienced.  All of us have it.  We all breathe sin in and cough it out everyday.  It's so consumed us that we don't even know what life is without it.  Jesus knew that our situation is dire and there's no cure on this earth.  That's why Jesus came.  His insane choice to become nothing and die has freed us from every kind of sin.  His sacrifice cleanses us.  His blood for ours.

And to make us His very own people

What love!  He came to rescue us from this darkness and bring us to Himself.  He wants us and one day, He's coming for us and will take us off with Him, fully perfected and without sin.  We're His.  That's the most important thing about me now.  More than being Jeff's fiancé, a Woodward or an American, I'm Jesus.'

Totally committed to doing good deeds.

My identity has changed and so has my purpose.  Jesus has loved me with sacrifice beyond my imagination's scope.  He's given me Himself to make me His very own.  That's my future.  It's secure and unchanging.  I'm finished working for approval.  Now I'm freed up to love Him back.  Now I'm freed up to do what makes Him smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment