Monday, July 27, 2015

Marriage Advice from Two Saints

I ran into a couple yesterday whom I hadn't seen since I got engaged and they had some nuggets of wisdom to share about how their marriage has flourished.  Here's what they said:

  1. Read 1 Corinthians 13 about every week and examine how you doing loving your spouse  compared to those instructions.
  2. When difficult times come, turn to each other not away from each other. 
  3. Fill yourself with trust and respect for your spouse.
  4. At the end of the day, it's just you and them.  What other people think only matters to a certain extent.  It's far more important what your spouse thinks.
1 Corinthians 13 for my day today 
If I succeed in all my lofty goals in changing the world, excelling in my job, weighing a certain amount, or following God, but if I don't have love, I'm nothing.  If I surrender my life to God's work and become a martyr, but don't have love, I'm blown away chaff.

Love is: patient, kind, rejoices with the truth; bears, believes, hopes and endures all things.
Love isn't: envious or boastful, arrogant or rude, insisting on its own way, irritable or resentful, rejoicing at wrongdoing.

Love is eternal.  Prophecies, languages, knowledge, so much of the world we know will pass away once Perfection appears.  We will grow up and become men and women and so much that we know right now are childish ways that will pass away.  Faith, hope and love will remain with us, and the greatest is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment