Thursday, January 28, 2016

Recipes

When I moved out of my parents house, my mom gave me a thick recipe book full of handwritten family favorites written in her beautiful cursive.

Then I got engaged to this wonderful man and all the sudden the world swept us up in celebration.  Bridal showers brought us stacks of new recipes with old favorites from other families.  Then my precious mother-in-law gave me a recipe book full of my new family's favorites spanning all the way back to great grandparents.

Initially as I started making friends with cooking, I was in survival mode.  I scoffed at anything with more than 6 ingredients or anything that needed more than half an hour to cook.  All those recipes sat unlooked at.

But the Lord has helped me to grow so much with cooking.  After I found more of a rhythm, one cozy night I pulled out all the recipes and got to work.  I sorted, ranked, organized and came out with two full binders of compiled treasures.  And now our meals are fully immersed with these recipes and we love it!  The variety, creativity and flavor of what's eaten in the Davenport home has increased exponentially.

Recipes are all around me--some for food and some for living.  And when I look at my heart when it hears wisdom, it still hasn't grown out of survival mode.  If things are bad, I search for the quickest remedy possible. But if I hear someone giving a recipe for living that sounds overly complicated or unnecessary, I don't really want to hear it. I'll nod and then leave the advice ignored in a stack somewhere in my brain.

But what if I did a better job at recording, strategizing and following the life recipes all around me?  I want a richer character, a deeper love, and a clearer vision to see the Lord.  Might this help?  Were I to lock my pride in a closet and let other people's wisdom affect me deeply, might that produce a more savory heart?  Definitely worth a try.  

No comments:

Post a Comment