Saturday, January 30, 2016

Livening our Fire

I read a quote recently from two married couple whose excitement and romance dissolved after their wedding.  They described their relationship like slowly fading embers from a deserted campfire.  That one afternoon was the pinnacle of everything for them, and the rest was a descent.

How indescribably sad!

Jeff and I have been married for four months now, and I know that the real fire in our relationship has only just begun to light.  The wedding was just setting up the logs and now it's time for the flame.  We're on a journey to learn marriage as we learn each other.

I see a so many things that have been livening our fire way beyond the wedding day, but here's three: cherishing the past, delighting in our present, and shaping ourselves for the future.

CHERISHING THE PAST

I have the most beautiful engagement and wedding rings that I've ever seen.  They're my favorite.  I've never seen anything else that I'd ever want more.  No joke: they're blindingly sparkly, yellow gold, and completely thought up by my thoughtful man.  My heart stopped when I saw the engagement ring for the first time.  My whole body echoed with delight and pleasure for weeks.  I was worse than a teenager texting.  I couldn't keep my eyes off that sparkle.

Our natural response to adapt can be a big vice when we're trying to live a life continually appreciating delights.  It's easy for me to grow used to this treasure sitting on my finger and glance past it.  But I can choose to keep the glow fresh--in my heart and on my hand.  Practically speaking, that means that I clean my ring every morning.  A drop of dish soap and water with my mini brush keeps both rings sparkling up a storm.  Diamonds are like fire.  They never sparkle in the same way twice.  It's incredible to get to watch and think about what it symbolizes.  Oddly, that 20 second habit warms my heart too.  It reminds me afresh how incredible my man is when I'm prone to be selfish and entitled.

Precious married and unmarried people--I exhort you to do whatever you can to keep the sparkle sparkly in your life and in your heart.

DELIGHTING IN THE PRESENT

There is so much treasure to marvel at in our present:

  • I get to know Jeff better than anyone else and vice versa.  
  • Jeff knows the quirks in me and loves me even when I'm unlovely. 
  • Neither of us is going anywhere, so we're safe to be just who we are.  
  • We get to love each other in brand new ways. 
  • Jeff is amazingly selfless and caring toward me.  That's unlike anything I've ever experienced. 
  • We're at the very beginning--I feel like I barely know this man and I'm excited to learn more. 


SHAPING OURSELVES FOR THE FUTURE

We lead ourselves toward the future we choose.  I want to run toward a future where I'm a person who Jeff would fall head over heels for in an instant.  I want to follow God's call to give my life to Jeff as a delight to him and to the Lord.  Perpetual gift giving.  That sets us ablaze like nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment