Monday, January 25, 2016

Loving Others is Loving Jesus

Speaking in the voice of Jesus, Henry Van Dyke interpreted Matthew 25:40 by saying, "Every deed of love and mercy, done to man is done to Me."

Imagine Jesus is walking up to your home.  

Let's remember for a moment who He is.  He's the King of kings who also bends down and washes feet.  He's the Perfect One with the holes in His hands.  He was crushed by our sin to set us free.  He took what was worst about us and then freely gave us a redeemed relationship with God, heaven, eternity, life, the Holy Spirit and purpose.

This Jesus, imagine He walks into the room with you.  

What would you do?  

What would you say?  What would be happening in your heart?  

Were it me, here's what might happen.  Pandemonium and tears.  Squeals of delight and tight tight hugs.  Worship and awe.  Dropping everything else and doing anything to just sit with Him or serve Him.    Then leaving anything else behind to follow that Man wherever He goes.  

There will be a day when we get to be in the same room as Jesus.  Doesn't that sound a trumpet somewhere deep inside you?  One day faith will be traded for sight.  

Until that happens, Jesus hasn't left us empty-handed.  He's given us this mysterious secret for the meantime: we can live out our pandemonium and tears for Jesus now by loving others.  

Have you ever been so excited about something that you couldn't help but embrace some unknowing person?  That's what we can do now, and Jesus knows that it's for Him.  

So I can hug people tight and somehow I've just embraced Him.  Beautiful.  

Jesus, my heart pines for You.  I want to see You and thank You and be with You. Thank You for showing me how I can channel my excitement now and You know exactly what it means.  I pray for a sticky mind to remember this secret when temptation comes.  Help me to fight to love instead of treating You cheaply by not loving someone.


No comments:

Post a Comment