Monday, March 14, 2016

Rules for Conflict

I had no idea until I got married that I like to run away from conflict, but now there's no escaping it.  I make both Jeff and me miserable when I run away from someone who's in the same room as me.  Especially at first, it was rocky and painful and unpredictable.  Getting through conflict has felt like a journey up a dark mountain.  At the Weekend to Remember, we learned these 7 practical steps to conflict that have acted as carabiners for us, helping us climb up the mountain.  They've helped establish rules for me to follow which provide a framework for what to do and say.  These are treasures.  Check them out.  

When in conflict, focus on:   
        1. one issue, not many
        2. the problem, not the person
        3. behavior, not the person’s character
        4. specifics, not generalizations
        5. facts, not judgments of motives
        6. “I” statements, not “you” statements
        7. understanding not who’s winning or losing 

I hope they can bless you as much as they've already blessed me!

No comments:

Post a Comment