Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Communication Levels

Five Levels of Communication from the Weekend to Remember Getaway Conference:
1. Cliché - non-sharing (shared with anyone)
2. Fact - sharing what you know (shared with many)
3. Opinion - sharing what you think (shared with some)
4. Emotion - sharing what you feel (shared with few)

5. Transparency - sharing who you are (shared with 1-3)

Examples
  1. Cliché - Hello, how are you?  
  2. Fact - It's supposed to rain later today. 
  3. Opinion - I don't think he would do a great job as president.  
  4. Emotion - When I heard the news, I felt really afraid that we'd get hurt. 
  5. Transparency - ... ?

Honestly, I have no framework for the fifth level.  I don't think I've experienced it yet, but I'm excited to.  According to the presenter from the conference, that level takes a lifetime to attain with someone else.  

Imagine with me: what would that be like?  To share all of your you-ness from the bottom to the top with someone else and to receive the same back.  To open every closet door inside to show what's really in you and to have the courage to let someone else see all that's good and bad inside you.  

I'm ready to shift gears in my life to head towards that destination.  I want to be known and to know that deeply.  I want vulnerability and uncompromising honesty to be my constant companions around the incredible people whom God has given me.

Have you gotten to that level?  Can you tell us what it's like?  I'd love to hear about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment