Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Me vs. God


In the latest Rocky movie called Creed, Rocky is training his greatest rival’s son Adonis.  As they’re going through the grueling conditioning, at one point there’s a powerful scene in front of a mirror.  Rocky told him: "You see this guy right here [in the mirror], he will be your toughest opponent.  That's true inside the ring and that's true in life."  

Months later as a rookie, Adonis is matched to fight Ricky Conlan, the #1 heavyweight champion of the world.  After 10 out of 12 violent rounds, both fighters are bleeding and completely exhausted as they take a 30 second break.  In his corner of the ring while medics drain blood off his face, Rocky reminds him: “Don’t look at Conlan!  It’s you against you, Doni.  You’re your biggest obstacle.  You can beat this!”

Man, so inspiring.  It encourages me to own up to problems myself instead of blaming other people or uncontrollable circumstances.  So good.  

I think Rocky would say that you’re fighting against yourself your whole life.  As I’ve thought about it more deeply for myself, it’s a pretty big let down.  Deep down I know that I’m not that tough or that muscly on the inside or the outside.  I’m not a great fighter.  But then in the middle of my disappointment, a beautiful, beautiful thought has whispered in:  “It’s not me vs. me in my life.  Now that I have Jesus, it’s me vs. the Lord.”  I find my Rocky-sprinting-to-the-top-of-the-stairs moments not by mastering myself, but by letting God master me.  

So when I’m up against something unbeatable and it’s the 10th round with pain everywhere, I can remember what Rocky said and then add this new truth:  Don’t look at the opponent—its me against God and God can beat this.  God is ultimately the One I’m struggling and wrestling against and He gives me the strength to fight.   

No comments:

Post a Comment